Every year Virtuoso polls its travel advisors on where their clients are going now – and what styles of travel are popular. The result is the Virtuoso Luxe Report, which forecasts the latest luxury travel destinations and trends and offers insights into the patterns and decisions of the world’s wealthiest travelers.
In 2014, multigenerational family travel maintained its stronghold as the top trend. But this year’s Luxe Report shows active and adventure travel as a dominant trend predicted for all travelers – families, couples, honeymooners, retirees – especially in more exotic destinations.
Other Luxe Report highlights:
- Italy continues its reign as the top destination for international travel, families and romantic travel. It also took the top spot in a new category, honeymoons.
- Within the U.S., New York reclaims the top spot from Napa Valley/Sonoma, which was bumped to third place.
- The most popular cruise itinerary is the Mediterranean, with last year’s top choice, Alaska, shifting down to second place.
- While Cuba remains the emerging destination most on the rise, the Galapagos Islands’ popularity is escalating again.
- South Africa was the number-one pick as the most popular adventure travel destination, with other exotic selections such as New Zealand and the Galapagos Islands finishing in the top five.
To view a photo gallery of the top destinations and trends outlined in the 2014 Virtuoso Luxe Report, click here.
Which of these destinations would be your ideal trip?