Posts Tagged luxury hotels
Virtuoso’s four newest additions to the esteemed Hotels & Resorts program are all unique luxury properties. Two of them are outstanding for their settings of peaceful natural beauty, and two of them offer thoroughly modern accommodations and service in distinctive historic buildings. Discover why these properties are worth booking and how, when you book with a Virtuoso travel advisor, you will benefit from the exclusive amenities they offer.
Mashpi Lodge, Mashpi Reserve, Ecuador
The contemporary, sophisticated and intimate Mashpi Lodge – located three hours northwest of Ecuador’s capital, Quito – provides the perfect base for nature adventures amid its 1,300-hectare private reserve, part of the highly biodiverse Andean rainforest known as the Chocó. The 22-suite lodge – built with the latest in low-impact techniques – will delight guests who seek to discover this world while enjoying creature comforts, fine dining, an extensive wine list and fantastic service. The Lodge is perfect for families, nature lovers, and well-travelled guests with distinguished tastes who think they have seen it all. Virtuoso guests receive a $100 credit for treatments in the Wellness Area.
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Dorado, Puerto Rico
With its serene coastline and palm-fringed beaches under the Caribbean sun, Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve is a tropical enclave. Situated on three miles of coastline with 1,400 acres of natural beauty, the first Ritz-Carlton Reserve in the Americas offers a remarkable luxury retreat, including 115 spacious accommodations directly on the beach, a restaurant by José Andrés, a five-acre Spa Botánico, an eco-adventure program by Jean Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment and three championship golf courses. Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve creates memories that will last a lifetime. The Virtuoso amenities are an American breakfast for two, $150 resort credit and upgrade at check-in upon availability.
Monastero Santa Rosa & Spa, Conca dei Marini, Italy
A 17th-century former monastery perched on cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean, Monastero Santa Rosa is the Amalfi Coast’s newest gem. More than a decade was spent transforming the property into a boutique luxury hotel with 20 unique rooms and suites, as well as a restaurant with coastal views and a full-service spa. Secret gardens, canopied lounge chairs, and rooms with soaking tubs make the resort an ideal romantic getaway, while an infinity pool, 24-hour room service, and attentive staff make it perfect for any occasion. Virtuoso amenities include a welcome drink and fruit basket in room on arrival, three-course lunch or dinner for two, and a 50 Euro spa credit per room with a minimum three-night stay.
The Ritz-Carlton Vienna, Austria
Enter a world of history, contemporary design and impeccable service. The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna (Austria) is an elegant building composed of four former palaces from the 19th century and is located in the heart of the city with breathtaking views of Vienna’s landmarks from its rooms and rooftop bar. This truly unique property combined with our personal service will make your stay a memorable experience. Virtuoso guests receive an upgrade on arrival (subject to availability), continental daily breakfast for two guests and a € 85.00 food and beverage credit (not applicable for alcohol, in-room dining or mini bar).
Virtuoso amenities are only available when you book through your Virtuoso travel advisor. Don’t have a travel advisor? Find one here.
Don’t you love a good hotel? The floral bouquets in the lobby, the warm welcome from the doormen, the anticipation of stepping into your room for the first time, the indulgence of room service.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Virtuoso’s preferred hotels and resorts program, a collection of the best properties around the world. Virtuoso travel advisors vet them all, so you can be confident they won’t disappoint. Whether your taste runs to intimate boutique hotels or sprawling resorts, modern design or classic, the portfolio of 900-plus five-star hotels offer something for every style. The best part: Virtuoso advisors can secure you valuable – and fun – VIP perks, such as complimentary breakfasts, spa treatments, and more.
I’ve visited several of our North American hotels recently; here are few highlights:
• Bellagio: Rang in the New Year at Hyde, the new fountain side bar in Las Vegas. Find more related news on page 44.
• Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino: Went for a winter getaway with the kids and can’t wait to return in the summer. The lakeside cottages will wow you.
• The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort: Talk about glamour and glitz. Find an interview with the concierge on page 32.
• Las Ventana Al Paraiso: Understated luxe exemplified. (No, I didn’t swipe the Do Not Disturb sign on page 74.)
• One & Only Palmilla: Another Cabo favorite, whose grounds explode with color.
• Hotel Bel-Air: A classic, reborn. Read about my spa experience on page 148.
• The Beverly Hills Hotel and Bungalows: A visit to the Polo Lounge is a must. Celebrate the grande dame’s 100th birthday with the souvenir on page 160.
• The Boulders: I ventured out for early morning hikes before meetings at the quiet retreat in the Sonoran desert foothills.
• Arizona Biltmore: The perfect place for families; ask your advisor to book you in the new Ocatilla Wing. I still can’t get over how the gardens perfumed the air, everywhere.
• The Setai: The location of this issue’s cover shoot in Miami. The weather was windy but the skies were blue and the venue was spectacular. After the shoot, we celebrated at the hotel’s restaurant, where the truffled dumplings were so good we ordered a second helping.
Find suggestions on the best hotel stays and more in the most recent edition of Virtuoso Life.
World’s Most Prestigious Hotels and Hospitality Professionals Honored at Virtuoso’s 22nd Annual Travel Mart
Virtuoso CEO, Matthew D. Upchurch, VIRTUOSO LIFE publisher, Terrie Hansen, and Virtuoso vice president of hotels, destinations & tours, Albert Herrera, revealed the award winners during the Hotels & Resorts dinner at Travel Mart, taking place at the Bellagio in Las Vegas from August 15–20, 2010.
“Those named ‘Best of the Best’ deserve this honor in every respect,” said Herrera. “Characterized by the service and standards they set, these recipients are emblematic of the exceptional properties and individuals within our network. They were chosen by our travel advisors, the most knowledgeable travel professionals in the industry who also possess the most exacting standards for their clientele. These hoteliers and world-renowned properties continually deliver in their respective categories, raising the bar and guest expectations year after year. It gives us great pleasure to recognize them.”
Editors of VIRTUOSO LIFE collaborated with the organization’s elite travel advisors to select hotel nominees in ten categories that ranged from best architectural design to top hotel and hotelier of the year. Winners represent the best in their category, demonstrating innovation, dedication, social conscience and even courage.
Award categories and recipients follow:
Best Achievement in Design: Armani Hotel Dubai
Best Hotel Dining: Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, Dorchester Hotel, London
Best Bar: Sir Elly’s, The Peninsula Shanghai
Best Family Program: Rocco Forte Verdura Golf & Spa Resort, Sicily
Best Spa: The Spa at Grand Velas All-Suites & SPA Resort, Riviera Maya
Most Innovative Guest Experience: Amanfayun, Hangzhou, China
Most Socially Responsible: Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
One to Watch: Alan Fuerstman, Montage Hotels & Resorts
Hotelier of the Year: Claudio Ceccherelli, General Manager Park Hyatt Milano
Hotel of the Year: The Goring, London
The best way to book a hotel is through a Virtuoso Travel Advisor. Click here to find how a Virtuoso Travel Advisor can turn travel into a special event.
Virtuoso’s Best of the Best: 2010 Guide to the World’s Best Hotel Experiences is now available to consumers around the globe. The ever-popular guide highlights the hotels and resorts of its elite worldwide membership, featuring incredible properties in unique locations, with extraordinary services and top-drawer amenities. Virtuoso Hotels & Resorts, considered the most exclusive hotel program in the industry, currently includes more than 800 world-renowned properties in 89 countries.
This year’s guide features a stunning cover shot and photography of the renowned One&Only Cape Town in South Africa, an urban chic waterfront resort with captivating views of Table Mountain and a private Spa Island, a Virtuoso preferred property. The first page presents the exclusive Virtuoso amenities that await consumers when they reserve their stay through a knowledgeable Virtuoso travel advisor, such as room upgrades, breakfast for two daily, early check-in and late check-out, preferred rates and availability, and value-added Virtuoso amenities. Also, as in past years, each listing features a valuable “In the Know” tip provided by one of Virtuoso’s expert travel advisors who has experienced the property firsthand.
* Annual Best of the Best Award Winners – Singled out by Virtuoso travel advisors as extraordinary
* Virtuoso Lifestyle: Villas & Private Retreats – Travel dreams come true at these exclusive hideaways
* Africa & Middle East – Explore wildlife-filled savannahs, ancient wonders and timeless cultures
* Asia & Pacific – Venture to a land of gilded cities, glistening reefs, great walls and other architectural masterpieces
* Caribbean & Bermuda – Stroll miles of soft-sand beaches rimmed by turquoise waters
* Canada & United States – Escape to coastal resorts, cosmopolitan hotels and romantic mountain lodges
* Europe – Enjoy enchanting stays in medieval castles, opulent estates and glamorous metropolitan retreats
* Mexico, Central & South America – Wander colorful markets, wonder at ancient Mayan cities, and hike through rainforests
* Introducing the Newest Virtuoso Hotels & Resorts (Page 380) – Meet the most recent hotels to be named among Virtuoso’s Best of the Best
Click here to view the digital version of Virtuoso Best of the Best.
Click here to learn more about Virtuoso.