A new study by Google and Ipsos MediaCT finds travelers are increasingly relying on internet research, including online reviews, to plan trips. People with household incomes of $250,000 or more were asked how they use technology for travel purposes. They go online for:
- Research: 70% said that they start researching online before they decide where or how they want to travel.
- Inspiration: 64% go to the internet for ideas – the same percentage that seeks insights from family friends or colleagues. Of those surveyed, 76% said the internet was extremely or very important as a source of travel inspiration, and 72% cited travel agents.
- Planning: a dominant 87% go to the internet – the top source of information.
What do affluent travelers do online?
These are the most popular online activities among affluent travelers:
- 80% researched an upcoming trip
- 67% read reviews from other travelers
- 55% brainstormed or started thinking about a trip
- 41% requested more information related to an upcoming trip
- 35% read a travel-related blog
- 30% watched travel videos
More than half – 55% – of affluent travelers say they access travel information on smartphones or tablets for planning trips. Affluent travelers use various devices for online travel activities:
• 77% research trips on a tablet; 55% on a smartphone
• 64% read reviews on a tablet and 44% on a smartphone
Online travel video usage is also on the rise. Upscale travelers view online video at all stages of the travel process:
- 60% when thinking about a trip
- 64% when choosing a destination
- 67% when looking for ideas at a particular destination
- 62% when deciding on accommodations
You’ve found one of them already – the Virtuoso blog, where travelers can find information on destinations and trends. Here are other Virtuoso sites to help you decide on and plan a vacation that’s right for you.
- Virtuoso.com is your one-stop resource. The site allows travelers to search for inspiration, research future trips, read reviews from verified travelers and request a travel advisor to assist with planning.
- Virtuoso’s YouTube channel houses a variety of travel videos to inspire and educate.
- Virtuoso’s other social media channels – Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest – promote everything from special offers to destination tips.